Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Family Recipes

I love a good family recipe, tried and true, that has been passed down through generations.  I have a couple of them I want to share with you today.  One of my favorite cookbooks is my
Ya they are looking a little rough!
Walburger family history / recipe book, and unfortunately mine is beat to death.  I use it all of the time.  It has many of my go to recipes in it.  Another, is a binder of favorite recipes I have compiled myself, and it is in need of a new face lift as well.  I think for the Walburger book, I will have to just copy out my favorite recipes and tuck the book away, for it is a treasure of family history, and I don't know that I can get another.  My red binder book, well, I will just have to get a new binder.  


Here goes, the tried and true and favorites:

Crazy Chocolate Cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
Put ingredients in bowl in order given.  Don't stir until boiling water is added.  Beat until smooth. Pour into buttered and floured cake pan.  Makes 1 9x13 pan or 24 cupcakes or 2 layers.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.  

Puffed Wheat Squares
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup corn syrup light or dark
2 tbsp cocoa
Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute.  Pour over 8 cups puffed wheat measured into a bowl.  Press into butter cookie sheet or cake pan 9x13.  Eat warm or cool and eat, if you can wait that long.


Dumplings

3 tbsp shortening, margarine
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c milk
Milk all well and drop by tbsp into boiling soup or stew.  Cover for 15 minutes and let cook.  Don't open the lid to check them.  Just set a timer and walk away.  Yummm.

Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp margarine
1/2 c milk
Mix to form a workable dough.  You can roll this out and cut out biscuits or roll into balls and pat onto a buttered cookie sheet, or drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet.  I usually add some grated cheese to mine as well, like 1/2 to 3/4 cup or so.  Bake on buttered cookie sheet at 400 for 15 - 20 minutes until done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment